Tuesday, October 26, 2010

“E-books can't be shared, can be lent”

“E-books can't be shared, can be lent”


E-books can't be shared, can be lent

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 12:11 AM PDT

QUESTION: I've heard that e-books expire. Is this true? Also, can I share e-books that I purchase?

Answer: In most cases e-books don't expire. However, libraries have started lending e-books. When the lending period is up, you can't read the e-books anymore.

As for sharing e-books, this isn't possible in most cases.

Some e-readers do have a lending feature, though. For example, the Nook has the Lend Me feature. It lets you lend books to friends for 14 days. You can lend a book only once, and a publisher can disable this feature for certain e-books.

For free e-books and help selecting the perfect e-reader, visit komando.com/news .

Q: I have to listen to company voice mail messages for my job. But because I work from home and use a cell phone, this eats up my minutes. Can I get the voice mail on my computer?

A: You could place calls from Skype. At 2 cents per minute, this might be cheaper than cellular minutes.

If you get free inbound calls, try the free Google Voice instead. It can call the 800 number then connect the call to your cell phone as an inbound call.

You should also talk to your company about starting a Google Voice account. Set the 800 number for automatic voice mail forwarding. Then have the voice mail sent to the Google Voice account. It's just like getting e-mail, and it is free.

Q: I accidentally ran over my laptop. How do I transfer my data to the new one?

A: To pull data from the hard drive, you need to remove it from the laptop. Check the manufacturer's site for instructions. Then, you'll need an external enclosure or a cable.

The drive likely has a SATA connection. So look for a SATA-to-USB cable. Or, find an enclosure for a 2.5-inch SATA laptop drive. Once the drive is connected, pull off your data. If the drive is physically damaged, contact a data-recovery service. Expect to pay $500 or more.

Q: My mother recently passed away. The funeral home made a very nice memorial page that I want to save. How can I do this without losing any of the graphics?

A: I'm sorry for your loss. I can understand why you want to save this page. I recommend saving it as a PDF file. This should retain everything that's on the page, along with the formatting.

You can use a free Web service like PDFCrowd. Elements that load slowly may not be included in the PDF. In that case, just take a screen shot of the page. Try the free Greenshot.

Kim Komando hosts the nation's largest talk radio show about computers.: www.komando.com/listen.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment