Sunday, October 31, 2010

“Frequency, power of Wi-Fi, cell phones differ”

“Frequency, power of Wi-Fi, cell phones differ”


Frequency, power of Wi-Fi, cell phones differ

Posted: 30 Oct 2010 01:32 PM PDT

QUESTION: I've been reading a lot of news stories about cell phones and cancer lately. But what about Wi-Fi? Does it carry similar risks?

Answer: This question is somewhat misleading. Studies on cell phones and cancer have been inconclusive. But Wi-Fi and cellular signals are essentially the same.

Both are electromagnetic energy. There are only two real differences: the frequency they use and the power behind them.

Cell phones have more powerful signals because they connect to towers miles away. In comparison, Wi-Fi only has to extend a few hundred feet.

Also, you hold your phone up to your head. That means you're closer to the source. So, cell phones pose a far greater potential threat than Wi-Fi.

I just updated to iTunes 10 on my Mac. I like the new features, but I don't like the new title bar. The buttons aren't where they were before. Can I change back to the iTunes 9 title bar?

A lot of people don't like the new title bar in iTunes 10. Fortunately, you can get the iTunes 9 title bar back. Start by upgrading to iTunes 10.0.1. Then, install a free program called TinkerTool. It will give you access to a lot of hidden options in OS X.

Once you install TinkerTool, open it and go to the iTunes 10 tab. Select "Use standard window with title bar and horizontal buttons."

Close TinkerTool and start iTunes. The title bar should have the same layout as in iTunes 9.

Visit Komando.com/news for a link to TinkerTool.

I've made some videos for a product I manufacture. How can I get these videos onto a DVD? I want to play the videos on a television.

The first thing you need is a DVD burner. Most computers nowadays will have one installed already.

Second, you need DVD-authoring software. This software will create DVDs that work in standalone players.

If you use Windows 7, try Microsoft's Live Movie Maker. The version of Movie Maker included with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate also authors DVDs.

If you have a different version of Windows, you need a third-party program. I recommend using DVD Flick.

(2 of 2)

I just reinstalled Vista on my computer. The computer came with a disc that had drivers on it. I can't find the disc anymore. Where can I get another one?

Drivers are small programs that let Windows communicate with peripherals. Printers, Webcams and other hardware use them.

Vista has a lot of generic drivers built-in. These drivers weren't written specifically for your hardware. But, they will work fine with basic hardware like keyboards, mice and disc drives.

Certain features may not work properly, though. For example, if you have a multimedia keyboard, the multimedia features may not work. In that case, visit the manufacturer's site.

You should be able to download missing drivers from its support site.

Failing that, send support an e-mail. It will help you get a replacement disc — for a small fee.

I'm looking for a video camera to record remote control airplanes. I don't need professional-quality videos. They are just for YouTube. Can you recommend a video camera?

Avoid a big and bulky camcorder. Instead, opt for a pocket camcorder.

Virtually every manufacturer makes them. Prices start around $100.

You'll find standard-definition and high-definition models. Aside from that, there isn't much differentiation between pocket camcorders. So, I recommend that you shop by price.

Look at models by Flip, Kodak, Sanyo and Sony. Of course, you may not need a pocket camcorder. If you have a smart phone, it probably records video. The quality of the video will be comparable to videos from a pocket camcorder.

My mother recently passed away. The funeral home made a very nice memorial page that I want to save. How can I do this without losing any of the graphics?

I'm sorry for your loss. I can understand why you want to save this page.

I recommend saving it as a PDF file. This should retain everything that's on the page, along with the formatting.

You can use a free Web service like PDFCrowd.

Elements that load slowly may not be included in the PDF. In that case, just take a screen shot of the page.

Try the free Greenshot. It can grab the entire page. You can even capture parts that extend off the screen. This is handy for longer pages.

Find links to Greenshot and PDFCrowd at komando.com/ news.

I accidentally ran over my laptop. I bought a new one, but how do I transfer my data from the old one?

To pull data from the hard drive, you need to remove it from the laptop. Check the manufacturer's site for instructions. Then, you'll need an external enclosure or a cable for the hard drive.

This will help you connect the drive to the new computer. The drive likely has a SATA connection. So, look for a SATA-to-USB cable.

Or, find an enclosure for a 2.5-inch SATA laptop drive.

Once the drive is connected, browse it, and pull off your data.

Now, the drive may be physically damaged. In that case, contact a data-recovery service. Expect to pay $500 or more for the service.

E-mail questions to Kim Komando at C1Tech@gannett.com.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment